Little Havana Cultural (Domino)
S.W. 15th Avenue and 8th Street.
Year Built: 2004
Osvaldo J. Perez R.A./ Laura Llerena & Associates Inc./ Jose R. Casanova
Urban plaza adjacent to Domino Park with wall mural, over sized domino game,
tinajones, and colorful undulating paving pattern.
El Credito Cigar Manufacturers
Address: 1100 S.W. 8th Street.
Year Built: Storefronts tracing their origins to 1935.
The largest hand rolled cigar company in Miami-Dade County, El Credito traces
its origins to Cuba in 1907. The same Perez-Carillo family operates the
business today in a complex of Art Deco-styled buildings. Clients include or
have included President Bill Clinton, Bill Cosby, and Robert Goulet.
Domino (Maximo Gomez) Park
Address: 1444 S.W. 8th Street
Year Built: 1976
Characteristics / Remarks:
Named after Dominican-born General Maximo Gomez. Mostly elder Cuban men meet
daily to play dominos and chess. A mural of Central, South America and
Caribbean presidents was painted at the time of the Summit of The Americas in
Cuban Memorial Plaza
Address: SW 13th Avenue from SW 8th to 10th Street
Year Built: 1971
Landscape Architect/Planner: Albert Perez / Jose R. Casanova,
The Torch of Brigade 2506, the centerpiece of the plaza, was placed there at
the same time, and it memorializes the 104 men of Brigade 2506, and four
American pilots killed in the ill-fated Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba, April 17,
1961. Important area for Cuban exile political demonstrations. The Statue of
the Virgin Mary was placed there in the mid-1980’s, the map of Cuba in 1979,
and a monument of Nestor “Tony” Izquierdo in 1992. Izquierdo, a former Bay of
Pigs prisoner, who lost his life fighting with the Somoza’s forces against the
Sandinistas in Nicaragua. The Plaza contains the bust of Major General Antonio
Maceo created in 1975, by Hispanic chapter of VFW Post; the bust was executed
by sculptor Tony Lopez. VFW honors Maceo, a Cuban freedom fighter killed in the
1890s, every December 7, the date of his death.
The torch was created in the early 1980s, and was moved to its present location
from today’s Jorge Mas Canosa Park in another part of East Little Havana. When
a recently released prisoner arrives there, his arrival is usually accompanied
by a ceremony near the torch.